GirlInterruptedReading

Books = Life.

Hip Hop Family Tree Book 2: 1981-1983
Ed Piskor

Life of Pi

Life of Pi - Yann Martel I read Life of Pi because I've always heard it was a good read and I agree with that after reading it. What I liked most about it was how it was set up, the beginning tells you the story being told is a look back on it from years after it happened, gives back ground, then delivers the sea tale, and the finally the huge twist that completely changes the readers perspective on the book. I didn't see the twist coming at all and I enjoyed that even though I felt somewhat upset that this incredible story might not be what it seems.

So why did it get 3 stars instead of more? I think if a book is going to take on religious views there needs to be more substance to it. For example, we know Pi is into religion before and after the ordeal but rarely does he mention anything about his 3 religions while he is at sea. At the end when the obvious comparison to religious stories in the Bible, Quran, Vedas are to be made compared to Pi's own miraculous story and determined to be true or not, there's a connection but not a very strong one. The lack of the religion during the lost at sea section of the book makes the whole book feel kind of a mixture of a story without a real sense of purpose.